What is Azure SQL Data Warehouse?
Azure SQL Data Warehouse is PaaS based cloud solution for data storage. It is a massively parallel processing (MPP) cloud-based, scale-out, relational database capable of processing massive volumes of data.
Why you should consider moving to SQL Data Warehouse?
– Massively parallel processing solution. This makes queries many times faster than SQL DB.
– Combine relational data with cloud scale-out capabilities.
– Handles large volume data with massive storage. No storage limit.
– Processing power (compute) can be increase / decrease processing on one click within few seconds.
– Pause or resume DW on-demand, helps in cost saving when not in use.
– Supports SQL Server T-SQL language
– Platform as a service (PaaS) cloud based solution.
– Manages, detect and mitigate security threats Azure authentication features.
– High availability, gives you 99.9% up-time SLA in regions available to public.
– Built-in automated database backups.
– Minimal maintenance, reduced dependency on IT team.
– Good for OLAP environment.
Why you should not consider moving to SQL Data Warehouse?
– Supports SQL Server T-SQL language (not everything though).
– Supports only 32 concurrent connections.
– Supports only 1024 active connections.
– Does not support in-memory OLTP.
– Does not support CROSS database queries.
– Migration from on-premise or IaaS to SQL DW is a challenge.
– Blocking issues may take down entire Azure SQL DW.
– INSERT BULK API is not supported thoroughly.
– Not good for OLTP environment due to frequent changes.
Reference Link :- https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/sql-data-warehouse/sql-data-warehouse-overview-what-is