SQL Server Denali is on the stage with new and improved features and existing components are same as previous release. This latest release of the SQL Server Database Engine introduces new features and enhancements that increase the power and productivity
Here is list of new features in SQL Server Denali… http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb510411(v=SQL.110).aspx .
Today, database administrators (DBAs) have to spend a great deal of time and effort dealing with problems related to misconfiguration of Microsoft SQL Server. Microsoft Codename “Atlanta” is a configuration-monitoring cloud service that will help customers to reduce downtime and improve the performance of Microsoft SQL server deployments. This secure cloud service will help DBAs to:
- Proactively avoid problems with Microsoft SQL Server through ongoing monitoring and alerting of configuration from the cloud
- Reduce downtime and improve performance of Microsoft SQL Server through proactive scanning for known configuration issues and comparison with best practices.
- Resolve issues faster by providing Microsoft, or your own support staff, the ability to get a current view of your configuration, changes that have been made, and use the most up to date solutions to solve them
As per Microsoft "Atlanta" is available by Nov 8, 2010 and the production version will be available by first half of 2011 calendar year. Currently "Atlanta" is available for US based datacenters.
Read more about Microsoft Codename "Atlanta" at… http://www.microsoft.com/systemcenter/en/us/atlanta.aspx
Microsoft SQL Server code-named “Denali” empowers organizations to be more agile in today’s competitive market. Customers can efficiently deliver mission-critical solutions through a highly scalable and available platform. Industry-leading tools help developers quickly build innovative applications while data integration and management tools help deliver credible data reliably to the right users and new user experiences expand the reach of BI to enable meaningful insights.
This release benefit the customers for
- Mission Critical platform – which includes high availability deployments and better hardware investments.
- Development Perspective it is more flexible with new capabilities includes declarative Database definition, Dynamically edit existing database, Round-trip code refactoring and Target Database Deployment.
- It has also expanded the horizon for BI in term of highly interactive, web-based data exploration and visualization solution. It has also introduce the holistic data integration and management solution that will help organizations ensure the right data is delivered to the right users at the right time.
Read here more about code-named "Denali": http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/en/us/product-info/future-editions.aspx
Download Microsoft® SQL Server® code-named ‘Denali’ – Community Technology Preview 1 (CTP1) : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=6a04f16f-f6be-4f92-9c92-f7e5677d91f9&displaylang=en
The SQL Server Best Practices Analyzer (BPA) gathers data from Microsoft Windows and SQL Server configuration settings. BPA uses a predefined list of SQL Server recommendations and best practices to determine if there are potential issues in the database environment. For SQL Server 2008 R2 Microsoft has come up with new version. Here is the link for it.
The Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 BPA is a diagnostic tool that performs the following functions:
- Gathers information about a Server and a Microsoft SQL Server 2008 or 2008 R2 instance installed on that Server
- Determines if the configurations are set according to the recommended best practices
- Reports on all configurations, indicating settings that differ from recommendations
- Indicates potential problems in the installed instance of SQL Server
- Recommends solutions to potential problems
- Supported Operating Systems:Windows 7;Windows Server 2003;Windows Server 2008;Windows Server 2008 R2;Windows Vista
SQL Server 2008 R2 Best Practices Advisor is supported on the following Operating Systems:
- Windows Server 2003
- Windows Server 2008
- Windows Vista
- Windows Server 2008 R2
- Windows 7
The following are required for using SQL Server 2008 R2 Best Practices Analyzer: